Saturday, October 8, 2011

Midterm Essay

I've been kicking around a few different ideas for my mid-term essay. For me the topic is the first half of the battle when it comes to writing essays. Maybe I just over think it? Here I am going to present my most promising idea at the moment.

Compare and Contrast of Gilgamesh and Creon: It seems as if Creon and Gilgamesh have quite a bit in common. They are both set in their ways and it seems as though, in practice, they don't necessarily do what is best for the people.  Perhaps intent is really what separates them. Creon seems to genuinely believe he is doing what is best for the people when he refuses the burial of a traitor but Gilgamesh doesn't seem to care how what he does effects the people.

Both Creon and Gilgamesh are stubborn to a fault. Creon refuses to listen to reason when told that he is more or less defying the gods. Gilgamesh presses on in his quest for immortality even though the gods tell him it is futile.

Extreme circumstances are necessary for both to see the light. Creon doesn't realize he's wrong until it is too late, his son dies as does his wife. Gilgamesh has to go through the entire  journey to Utnapishtim to find the secret to immortality, not letting go until he is defeated by the "little death" of sleep.

The period of time seen in both tales makes it a bit difficult to fully analyze the character's growth. Gilgamesh, by means of his long journey is able to grow and learn that death is a necessary part of life. Creon is not given that opportunity, but since this is a Greek Tragedy I can only assume he would have killed himself in some dramatic way had he been given the chance.

*Sources thanks for the reminder. :) Found on google books Gilgamesh Epic by Jeffery Tigay I wasn't able to find it in the public library database so I will have to use it from google books.

Also on google books The Three Thebian Pays

3 comments:

  1. Tammy,

    I think this is a terrific idea. It seems to me that one of the ways these two characters are narratively similar is that both reach enlightenment in some form. The forms differ, as to the effects of that enlightenment, but both understand the world in a fundamentally different way at the end of the text. They are transformed, changed by the story itself.

    So it might be an interesting idea to explore the methods of that change (the enlightenment) and how the change itself affects the rest of the characters in the story. The nature of the change -- what exactly is different after enlightenment -- might also be an interesting idea to explore.

    I encourage you to try to focus on one single question when you compare/contrast these two characters. This has the promise of a really interesting essay, but I think it's important to have a strong focus and not let it wander too much in terms of argument.

    Also, I think there are some good sources available for this line of thinking. If you would, please post some sources you might use so I can get a feel for them.

    Let me know if you have any questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might also find this a useful source, especially the intro (apologizes for the long link):

    http://books.google.com/books?id=rrrWd4MsVIAC&printsec=frontcover&dq=gilgamesh+stephen+mitchell&hl=en&ei=l1yXTpLtLuThiAKnnoDaDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. It seems like a the good sources I found were on JStore and wanted me to pay $20 or more!

    ReplyDelete